The first literary society
Parnassos Literary Society
Founded in 1865
The First Academy of Letters and Arts
On June 24, 1865, four children of the numismatist Pavlos Lambros succeeded, with the support of their father, in realizing their vision, in establishing a cultural Institution, which with its multifaceted and versatile radiation would work “for the common progress and benefit of people” and would prepare the people to achieve the national integration that the Great Idea illuminated.
They gave it the name PARNASSOS, as according to tradition PARNASSOS was dedicated to Apollo and the Muses. Already from 1869/70, the Literary Society was developing into a pan-Hellenic intellectual center with a rich activity of leading representatives of the intellectual, academic, judicial, artistic, diplomatic and military leadership of the place.
On March 17, 1875, L.S. PARNASSOS was recognized by Royal Decree as a Legal Entity of Private Law, of a non-profit nature. Until then PARNASSOS had already been connected with dozens of scientific Associations inside and outside Greece. Government agencies, Legal Entities and prominent personalities contributed to the consolidation of the Literary Society from a very early stage with their financial support.
L.S. PARNASSOS was in fact the first Academy of Letters and Arts of Greece until 1926, when Pangalos founded the Academy of Athens.
Benefactors – Donors
During the 157 years of operation of the Society PARNASSOS, there were many who with their donations contributed to the consolidation and development of PARNASSOS. State bodies, legal entities (such as the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Ministry of Education, the Bank of Greece, etc.), prominent personalities from the political and intellectual world of Greece and abroad showed a special interest in the cultural activities of PARNASSOS and they each strengthened in their own way the presence of PARNASSOS in the spiritual life of the place.
As a small tribute and memory of love, the Literary Society has built in a prominent position on the 1st floor, in front of the entrance to the ceremony hall, marble plaques with the names of the great benefactors from the year PARNASSOS was founded until today.